Sunday, January 2, 2022

 It is January and I keep rocking my head in-between my knees 
Until I feel car sick. The flowers are still sleeping and I wish I could, too.

I chain smoke cheap cigarettes until my hair smells less like you leaving home,
And more like you picking up the phone.

I call you on my fifth glass of wine, and block your number on my sixth.

On my seventh, I take foggy pictures of every sunset dipping behind the trees of our favorite park;
The only measure of time I know how to document
Your absence. 


As if to make it more real.
As if I don't chew gum until my teeth hurt.
As if I am not loud enough in my aching, no one can look.


It is January and I cherry pick my tinder dates until they all morph into an image of your face;
Cry to my friends until they 
All have somewhere to be.
Lock myself in an empty apartment
Until someone comes looking.

Wear my shoes on the wrong feet
Until I walk around town feeling
Like a different person.

The city holds shadows I am not ready to admit exist,
Not yet ready to admit I need to leave.

Wear lipstick a few shades too dark to find my stained cup easier at the bar,
Laugh with strangers like they hold all the answers to my wounds.
Bleed on all the people I try to flirt with, save phone numbers I'll never call. 
I don't know how.


It is January and I still don't know how
You can drink five glasses of wine,
And not think about me
The way I think about you 


No comments:

Post a Comment