Sunday, January 2, 2022

 I cling to everything-

A chipped coffee mug with stains
Too stubborn to wash off. She'd only drink out of that one.

Cheap rings that turn my poor
Fingers green;

A worn-out necklace I found in her bedroom
The day my heart spoke louder than my mouth.

A recipe for Carrot cake she said she'd make one day.

I was never a lover of carrot cake,
But I did love her.

A shitty portrait of me I drew when I was twelve;
I never had the courage to take it off her wall.

A time vessel one would be silly to disturb,
In case it made it all seem a little
Too real.

Soiled birthday cards hidden at the bottom of my drawers,

Love you booboo, your grandmother x barely visible 
From all the tear stained fingertips that held onto it
On nights where the world seemed too small
And my grief too large


A wine-stained notepad discarded under my bed
That held all the secrets to my wounds.


The first, and last, scissors I ever cut my hair with.


My hair, how she loved it,


Is something I cling to the most.


Month after month,
I sit in silent agony
As my hair rips through my scalp, ever so slowly,
To give birth to long golden locks
She would have had half the mind to stay alive
To witness.


That is the only remembrance
I know how to give her
After she chose to jump
out of her window
As If to fly straight 
into the mouth of the reaper.


 

Old letters from friends, a toy dinosaur my first cat loved to play with,
CDs with love songs that play on loop, my mothers childhood blanket,
A discolored photograph from her wedding a lifetime ago.


As I sit, boring holes into that picture with my worn-out eyes,
I wonder if she knows
How painful it is
Growing the same hair out of my scalp
That she once wore.
 




Was it as painful
As the sharp concrete
That kissed her sunken cheek
In reunion?



I cling to the answer
I'll never know.





No comments:

Post a Comment