Wednesday, March 16, 2022

 Today I ate       out of griefs unforgiving hand


And I thanked him         for all the crumbs,


It tasted so much         like what I had for lunch


Everyday for a         few years now,


He wonders how         I haven't gotten sick of it yet;


I tell him it reminds me         of my Mothers cooking 


On a Sunday afternoon             Microwaved meals and 


Bruised knees over the counter;                  Fathers dirty dishes 


Climbing up the walls                   Smoking slims in his green bathroom;


Faux smiles and untied shoelaces                   Toothbrush in my backpack:


Grandmas leftovers on my lips                  Leaves a residue on your skin;


I try not to stain,                  Be like watercolor, rinse off in the rain


It's hard to pretend not to be             All the things you grew up 


Being;














No comments:

Post a Comment